NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you do not change your browser settings, then you agree to the use of cookies

I understand


City Youth Match Reports 6 May 2018

See how your team did, read the latest City Youth match reports here.

Managers, don't forget to Text the Press Secretary, Terry Edwards by 11:00 pm on Sunday with your Result and Match Report. Text 07443541477.

St Albans City Youth FC - Match Reports w/e 6th May 2018

For the Girls Teams Match Reports Click here >>>

St Albans City Youth - Boys

Under 15

On Sunday the St Albans City 15 EJA team travelled to Haverhill Rovers once again to play in the Easter Junior Alliance League play-offs with the winners of the other three divisions Cambridge City (Yellow), AFC Hornchurch (Black) and Witham FC (Green whilst the young were winners of the Brown Division. 

Cambridge City had won 21 out of their 22 league games with AFC Hornchurch having won 11 of their 14 leagues whilst Witham had won 15 matches out of their league total of 18 games with the Saints winning 16 out of their 22 league matches.

So, the draw was made and the Saints 15 EJA drew out Cambridge City who certainly the hardest team to beat whilst the other semi-final was between AFC Hornchurch and Witham and they had a nice grass pitch to play whilst the Saints had a 3G pitch.

The match was only a few minutes old when Cambridge struck when a quick free kick from Thomas Stoker found Owen MULLEE who raced clear and promptly drilled the ball low past Billy Thomson to give Cambridge a 1-0 lead.  Then Thomson had to a fine save from to stop Cambridge from taking a 2-0 lead whilst the young Saints started to put the pressure on to score an equaliser. Firstly, Joe Vance had a low effort saved at the foot of the near post and then Jack McShane blazed over the crossbar from close range whilst Benny Stacey had another effort blocked. Then Cambridge quickly broke away which saw Finlay WILKINSON bury the ball in the bottom left corner to make it 2-0. 

A free kick from Joe Vance found Benny Stacey who setup Bradley Young but alas his shot was blocked on the line and then Jack McShane following up saw his goal bound effort also blocked.

Early in the second period it became 3-0 when a misplaced back-pass was seized on by Thomas(Tommy) STOKER and he hit home goal number three and then it became 4-0 as a quick break saw Archie Macleod hit home Cambridge's fourth goal.

It nearly became 5-0 when Thomas Stoker burst clear and hit a cracking shot which saw Billy Thomson pull off a magnificent save as he pushed the ball away and from the follow-up shot from Finlay Wilkinson saw Thomson pull off yet another great save.

Well it certainly seemed this match was over but the young Saints 15 EJA thought not as they then started to play some great football and after both Joe Vance and Jack McShane had shots blocked saw the ball fall at the feet of JOSH FORSTER and after one quick touch and before you knew it the ball was in the back of the net following a sizzling low drive from 25 yards. 

Well this was not a consolation goal as the Saints scored again to make it 4-2 when Billy Thomson saw his long drop kick bounce over a defender's head and there was JOSH FORSTER to send a delightful lob over the advancing Cambridge keeper for a great finish. Still the match was not over despite the supporters, players and the manager of Cambridge calling for the full-time whistle to be blown as the Saints were really on top now as they pressed forward in search of another goal and they were duly rewarded with that goal which made it 4-3 now. Another attack saw the numerous efforts being blocked inside the box but then the ball ran lose to JUDE JAMES on the left-hand side of the box whereupon it was dispatched into the bottom left hand corner, 4-3 Game on, but it was not to be as the referee duly blew up for full time before they even kicked off. If only that third goal had gone in a few minutes earlier who knows what might have happen as the Saints were really in charge of the latter stages of the match.

 Still the young Saints gave it their best shot so be proud of yourself’s, League Champions, and after the match they were presented with the Championship Shield. Next year we will do it all and there is still a Mars Bar from Tezza(Bulldog) to look forward to.

Away to Whetstone Wanderers Jaguars were the 15 South in the Red Division of the WFL and following a very close match saw the hosts just edge it 2-1 with Anthony Graham grabbing the South's goal with midfielder Kyle Roberts snatching the man of the match award.

The 15 East played two matches in a few days and in the first game saw them lose 2-1 at home to Tornado JSC with Musta Boksh scoring the East's only goal of the match. 

In their next match saw the 15 East play Chorleywood Vipers in front of a large crowd at Verulamium with the visitors needing to win this game to secure the Division 3 league title which they duly did with a 4-3 win but not till after the young Saints made them fight all the way to the final whistle to get those vital three points. Scoring the goals for the East were Anton Nicolas-Sahota with two goals whilst Musta Boksh scored the third goal. Chorleywood win the title on 41 points just two points more than runners-up Tornado JSC whilst the East finished up on 27 points.

The 15 Central also played two matches and in the first game saw them go down away to Hemel Town Youth Yellow 10-0 despite Central starting well but once they conceded the first goal on 12 minutes the goals started to flow in at regular intervals but Central kept going but alas they just could not take their chances. In the second they kept playing despite having five players struggling with injuries and also their regular keeper Joe Moss was not available. The man of the match was given to Ben Sommerbauer who never stopped running throughout the game on a very hot sunny afternoon.

Well with Joe Moss back in goal for their next match at home to Little Gaddesden plus a nearly fully fit squad saw them sweep Little Gaddesden aside by winning by the scoreline 13-0(that's more like it) and it could have been more if it was not for the Little Gaddesden keeper Alex Porter who made some excellent saves including one on one's. CALLUM CORNISH scored the first two goals for the Central team with his first being fired into the top right corner and the second one being a brilliant free kick over the top of the defensive wall and straight in. Next came JACK PERCY with a fine finish and then Callum Cornish played in DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS who headed the ball over the advancing Alex Porter to make it 4-0. Then JACK PERCY made it 5-0 when he swept the ball home after a good pass from Onchie-Williams whilst it soon became 6-0 when Callum Cornish played the ball through for DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS to sprint clear and bury the ball into the back of the net. Goal number seven arrived on the stroke of half time when DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS again raced clear and found the back of the net with a calm finish to complete a first half hat-trick and make the half time score 7-0.   The goals continued to flow in the second half and this time Rob Brown played the ball to DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS who once again surged forward to score with ease and make it 8-0 whilst DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS then added another goal to take his tally for the match to five. There was a bit of a break in the scoring before the Central finally reached double figures when MATT ROOME nipped in at the far post to tap the ball home following a good ball across from Ben Sommerbauer to make it 10-0. The eleventh goal was scored by DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS when his 30-yard strike took a wicked bounce right in front of keeper Alex Porter and sailed over him as he went to make a save. Goals 12 and 13 were scored when Onchie-Williams found MATT ROOME who drilled the ball into the roof of the net and then Roome returned the compliment when he made a good run down the right and played the ball across to man of the match DANIEL ONCHIE-WILLIAMS to shoot home his 7th goal of the game and make the final score 13-0. Credit must be given to Little Gaddesden who kept pressing and trying to score a goal themselves right up to the final whistle and to Alex Porter who stopped Daniel Onchie-Williams from reaching double figures for himself.

Under 14


Under 14 East Green Division Champions

The 14 East Blue made sure of winning the Green Division of the Watford Friendly League with a 6-1 away win over Highgate & Muswell Hill Galaxy. Brandon Trainis opened the scoring on six minutes with a half volley from the edge of the box whilst two minutes it became 2-0 when Dan Gant slid the ball home following a lovely through ball from captain Sammy Gosine. On 17 minutes it became 3-0 when Tom Merritt passed the ball into the ball into the back of the net following a corner kick. Highgate pulled a goal back but then on 52 minutes it became 4-1 when Tom Merritt fired home following a neat flick on from Brandon Trainis. The East Blue then made it 5-1 when Brandon Trainis drove the ball under the keeper after a good pass from Jack Raffo and for the East's Blue final goal of the match saw Jack Jacobs finish with a great shot into the bottom right corner after a Jamie Hilton cross. The 14 East Blue still have one league match to go and they can not to be caught as they sit on top of the table on 44 points. Well done you Blues. Just a footnote the 14 North who play in the same division finished the season in third place.

The 14 South have already secured runners-up spot and promotion in division 2 of the West Herts Youth League when they took on champions Evergreen Youth who looking for a confidence boosting win. Despite the South looking good in the first half they went in at the break 1-0 down and with the South pressing for a equaliser a last minute breakaway goal saw Evergreen win 2-0. This was an unfair reflection of the game, but coach Graham Justice says they go into next season in division 1 full of confidence and looking forward to building on their continued advancement. The man of the match went Hadee Sadic. Footnote Evergreen finished on 47 points whilst in second spot were the 14 South on 37 points.

Away to Tring Tornadoes Panthers were the 14 Boreal and the won 2-0 with a goal from Jack Carmichael plus one from man of the match Oscar Evans.

Under 13

The 13 South played a double header against Bushey & Oxhey Cougars away and in the first game saw them win 5-0 with goals from Finley Crumpton, Mackenzie Gibson, Tio Jayasinghe, Joseph McLeod and Jamie Horton. In the second match they hit another six goals to win 6-1 with Matthew Martin leading the goalscorers with a hat-trick whilst Finley Crumpton, Charlie Johnson and Aaron Ready all popped up with a goal each.

Another team playing a double header were the 13 North and they were playing Omonia Youth Green in the Red division of the Watford Friendly League. In the first match a goal from Perez Waterberg was enough to secure all three points with a 1-0 victory. The next game saw the North score a few more goals which saw them win 5-0 with five different goalscorers and they were Thomas Pinkham, Perez Waterberg, Ben Freestone, Jake Berry and Elliott Johnson.

Under 12

Away to Harpenden Colts Hurricanes were 12 Victoria and despite the young Saints battling away they eventually lost 3-1 with Alex Strazza scoring their only goal of the match whilst the pacey player Martin Flore was named man of the match.

Under 11

The 11 Orient played Watford Youth Sports and they had a good game against them with both teams in attacking mood and hitting four goals for the Orient was Will Antcliffe including a brilliant strike into the top right corner whilst Lucas Berry netted one near the end of the match.

St Albans City Youth – Girls

Under 18

The 17 Girls were at home to Harpenden Colts Girls Chameleons and it was a very tight game which the 17 Girls won 2-1 with a goal from player of the match Charlotte Banks plus a fine effort from Eleanor Keating.

Under 15

Mia Pinkham struck four goals for the 15 Girls in their 10-2 home win over Harpenden Colts Girls Sapphires whilst Katie Holder got 2 and then there were singles from Sam Farrer, Sophie Veal, Jess Simpson and Grace Barker-Roberts. The player of the match went to the whole team after such a fine performance for the whole of the game.

The 15 Girls were at home to Garston Girls Lions in a top of the table clash and the match started well for the Lady Saints with Katie Holder shooting just past the upright whilst a effort from Mia Pinkham was pushed around the same post by a good save from the Garston keeper. Next a curling corner kick from Mathilda Finburgh struck the foot of the far post and rebounded out with another cracking shot later on from Katie Holder saw the visitor’s keeper pull off another fine save. Mathilda Finburgh then had a shot saved whilst a free kick taken by her went just over the bar whilst as the 15 Girls pushed forward in search of that goal saw Katie Holder, Anna Gifford and Mathilda Finburgh all going close whilst a corner kick from Maz Horne-Batet nearly curled in but the ball went just wide of the far post. As half time approached they finally got the breakthrough when MATHILDA FINBURGH made a surging run towards goal and after finding space she let fly from the edge of the box and the ball whizzed into the bottom right hand corner of the net to make it 1-0. In the second half the 15 Girls carried on where they left off in the first period on the attack with first Anna Gifford and then Mia Pinkham, Mathilda Finburgh all having efforts going just wide of the upright or being saved by the overworked Garston keeper. Finally, the second game to record a excellent 2-0 victory when Jess Simpson cut in from the right wing and curled a beautiful shot around the Garston keeper for the ball to strike the foot of the far post and in rebound out but there was MAZ HORNE-BATET racing in to hit the ball low into the bottom left corner for the Lady Saints second goal of the match. The visitors nearly pulled a goal when a shot beat keeper Sophie Veal but there on hand was Grace Barker-Roberts to make a spectacular goal-line clearance. The player of the match was awarded to Anna Gifford who was everywhere on the pitch in defence and attack. This win secures runners-up place in division 1.

Under 13

Another team that had a busy week were the 13 Girls North as first they played a double header against Garston Ladies Tigers which saw them lose both matches 2-1 with Tatyana Barton scoring the first game and Esme Hume in the second. The player of the match for the matches were Esme Hume (1st game) and Ruby Tickner(2nd match).

 In midweek the 13 Girls North were at home to Harvesters Girls and they took the lead with a fine finish from Keira Ward but by half time the scoreline was 2-2 with Esme Hume scoring the second goal for the 13 North. In the second half Harvesters scored two more goals to win the match 4-2 but the young Lady Saints made them fight all the way. The player of the match went Ruby Tickner who worked tirelessly throughout the whole of the match. The game saw match referee Josh Forster (15 EJA) have a brilliant game.

Away to AC Finchley Girls saw the 13 Girls South win 3-1 in their last league match of the season which sees them finish in third spot and scoring the goals were Rosie Littlechild with two and Caitlin Morley with one. The player of the match went to goalkeeper Lily Morrissey.

Under 11

Following a beautiful display of football saw Scarlett Mills score two excellent goals for the 11 Girls North whilst Hannah Pope netted one. There was a joint player of the match and it went to midfielder Ruby Littlechild and striker Isla Evans.

Under 10

Playing Ruislip Rangers Girls away were the 10 Girls and scoring goals for them was Scarlett Robb with a hat-trick whilst both Teagan Scarlett and Rebecca Smith scored one apiece. The player of the match was won by Rebecca Smith who worked hard up front and all other parts of the pitch as well.

Under 9

There were plenty of goals in this match from both sides as the 9 Girls North played away to Bedwell Rangers Girls Phoenix and scoring goals for the North were Rachel Kincaid with five and Sophie McMahon and player of the match Chloe Freedman both found the back of the net as well.

Away to Evergreen saw the 9 Girls Central play out a 0-0 draw with Aoife Flanagan being named player of the match for the 9 Girls Central.

Under 8

The 8 Girls played away to Harpenden Colts Girls Panthers in beautiful conditions and scoring a goal in the first half was Olivia Wood whilst Alexa Johnson hit the post. In the second half Matilda Flynn scored three goals whilst there was some impressive defending from Jessica Reeve with great contributions from every player for the last league of the season. Next, we move onto a busy tournament season and then a short break whilst there was a joint player of the match and it went Jessica Reeve and Matilda Flynn.