City Youth Match Reports - Tezza's Days Gone Bye - More from 2002


Tezza is looking back through his old City Youth reports and found more trivia from 2002.

Well done Terry Edwards.



AWAY       PURFLEET UNDER 18's    0       ST ALBANS CITY UNDER 18's       4

Playing in the F. A. Youth 2nd Qualifying round saw the Saints mid-week team travel away to Purfleet  on a Sunday(what on a Sunday) to play them in this cup tie and if they thought they could snatch victory they were wrong as the Saints were in command from the start and they went on to win 4-0. 

Lawrence Anscomb nearly opened the scoring early on but his high ball into the goalmouth was punched clear by the Purfleet keeper Kerry Hart and then a few minutes later the young Saints took the lead when Jake Attwood was sent clear down the right wing whereupon his fine cross into box was met by a brilliant firm header from Alister COLLINS which landed in the bottom right hand corner of the net. Both Collins and Matt Jones were putting over low crosses which were hacked clear whilst following a James Montague corner kick saw Chris Seeby's low drive cleared off the line with Chris Bergin a few minutes later saw his effort strike the top of the crossbar and go over. In the 32nd minute it became 2-0 when Montague won a corner kick following a quick throw-in by Jones which Attwood took this time and he curled the ball in for Chris SEEBY to rise up and send a glancing header into the back of the net. 

The second half was only a minute old when it became 3-0, Matt Jones took another quick throw-in which found Chris Seeby who quickly turned and hit over a low cross into the box for Alister COLLINS to race in at the far post and fire home for his second of the match. Collins had a few other chances to add to his score, but his efforts went just wide of either upright. Chris Bergin then saw his well struck effort tipped over the crossbar by a good save from Kerry Hart the Purfleet custodian who he also had to make stops from James Montague, Iaian Turkentine and Lawrence Anscomb. With about three minutes to go the Saints struck a fourth goal to make the final score 4-0 when following a fine flowing move down the left saw the ball played to Alister COLLINS who duly dispatch it into the back of the net to complete his hat-trick and make it 4-0. They now play St Ives (Cambs) or Bury Town in the next round away. Squad: Garland, Anscomb, Montague, Lutton, Maycock, Attwood, Seeby, Turkentine, Collins, Bergin, Jones, Lowe, Hill, Ward (all played) Coaching Staff. Clive Attwood, Mark Clark, Terry Edwards (collecting the subs for the coach fare!).


Two goals from Dave ''Bullet'' PARKINSON was the highlight of the Under 17's 6-1 away win over Pryden Youth in the Mid Herts Youth league match. The other scorers on the day were Matt HANSON, Kevin HEARNE, Ashley PIZAN and James HARVEY.


In their second match in the league cup group F saw the Under 16's West defeat a weaken Herons side by ten goals to nil (10-0).  The Saints keeper David Kosky did not have a single shot to save in the entire match whilst the Saints opened the scoring in the first minute when Joe MEIJA headed home Callum Anderson corner kick. Joe MEIJA then scored his second goal of the match when he was sent clear by Oly Rhodes whilst a brilliant volley from Sam HATTON  made it 3-0 after Alex Addison had struck the post with a curling shot. Just before the break Joe MEIJA completed his hat-trick with a well worked goal for his second hat-trick in consecutive matches. The Saints continued to score goals in the second period and made it 7-0 with goals from Sam HATTON which was a delightful chip over the Herons custodian, a powerful header from Sam HATTON plus another well placed shot from Joe MEIJA  taking his tally to four. The Herons keeper then made a fine save from Max Gray only to see Tom BARNARD to pick up the loose ball and run it into the back of the net to make 8-0. Tom BARNARD then added another goal to take his tally to two following a neat passing move then Kurtis PATTERSON capped an excellent performance by scoring the tenth goal with a superb individual goal after he had beat five Herons players he calmly slotted the ball home. The scoreline could have been more if it were not for the Herons goalkeeper who produced a string of fine saves throughout the match. The man of the match went to Lou Lattuca whose drive from the midfield is already becoming an important element in the team's pattern of play. Squad: David Kosky, Danny Johnston, Steve Hawes, Ollie Minton, Callum Anderson, Olly Rhodes, Lou Lattuca, Sam Hatton, Max Gray, Alex Addison, Joe Meija, Alex Phillips, Tom Bristow, Chris Payne, Tom Barnard, Kurtis Patterson. (all played).


Playing away to Hoddesdon United in the county cup were the Under 15's East and they came away with a 8-3 victory after they had led 5-1 at half time. Scoring the goals for the young Saints were Richie COLLIN 3, Martin King 2, Scott MOORE 2 and Tegana ''TJ '' James with one whilst defender Aaron O'Donnel had an outstanding game.

A well taken goal from Ashley AIMAKHU gave the 15's West a 1-0 home win over Chorleywood.

UNDER 14s     '' HIGH FIVE''.

A Jamie FIGG goal saw the Under 14's Mid Herts drawing 1-1 at half time to Ware Youth Blue. In the second half though it was a different story as the Saints stepped up a gear and scored four more goals to win the match 5-1. The goalscorers in the second period were Rob PULLMAN 2, Chris JELL and John PATON.

The Under 14's North led London Colney at the break but in the end, they had to settle for a point as London Colney snatched a last-minute equaliser. Danny NORRIS scored the first goal for the North whilst prolific goalscorer Ricky MILLER scored the second with a cracking 30-yard free kick. 

In the first half of the Under 14's South's home match against Nascot Wood saw Tim Attwood go close at least three times with long range efforts but the score remained at 0-0 at half time. However, in the second period the South conceded an early goal straight from kick-off and then they conceded two more to go on and lose 3-0.


The Under 13's North conceded three early goals away to London Road and although Ethan HUGHES pulled one back for the Saints, they then conceded two more to go down 5-1 whilst both Ben Goodyear and Andy Teasdale had good games for the Saints in midfield. 

Chris LORD and Jack SAMUELS scored two fine goals for the Under 13's South, but it could not stop them going down 4-2 away Kingsbury in the league.


Away to Northwood White saw the Under 12's South 2-1 down during the first half but they fought back to go 3-2 up at the break. In the second period the Saints scored three more times to win the match 6-3 with man of the match Alex TWYMAN scoring a glorious hat-trick. The other goals were scored by Nathan SANDIFORD with a brace plus one from Chris BARRY. The Under 12's East played two matches during the week and in their first one saw them beat Leverstock Green away 3-2 in the league cup with goals from Troy PETCHEY 2 and one from Tristan AUGIER. In their second game they lost 4-1 away to Chorleywood Phoenix with the score at half time being 1-1. Troy PETCHEY scored the only goal for the Saints.


Also playing two matches in a week were the Under 12's West and they beat Harpenden Piranhas away 6-1 with goals from Michael GAMBLE 2, James WATT 2, Daniel BISSELL and Daniel BURT with another Daniel, centre half Daniel Thompson being named man of the match.     

In their second game of the week saw the Under 12's West have an easy win over Gadeside Rangers at home by thirteen goals to nil (13-0) after they had led 5-0 at half time. Leading the goalscorers was Daniel BISSELL with 5 goals, Conor O'CONNOR 3, Michael GAMBLE 2, James WATT 2 and one for Matthew MAWHOOD which was his first for the club. Midfield dynamo Nick Glasgow was named man of the match. 


The Under 12's Girls in the first game of the season lost 2-0 away to Queens Park Rangers with Claire Brown unfortunately suffering a broken wrist during the game.


On an enormous pitch and with only seven players saw the Under 11's Girls produce a courageous display that deserved the narrow victory in a tremendous game. Tiffany HARBRON gave the Girls the lead, but Northwood hit back, and they found themselves 2-1 down at half time. Amy CLARK gave the Lady Saints a real boast with an early goal in the second period to make it 2-2 with a shot from the half way line which was a surprise to everyone as it caught it everyone out especially the Northwood Girls custodian.  Tiffany HARBRON then scored her second goal to make it 3-2 but once again the home team struck back to make it 3-3 and then Jane ''JJ'' JARDINE rifled home what proved to be the winner and the team had to hang on to win 4-3 as Katie Hewitt had received a knock midway in the second half so they had only six fit players on the pitch. Rebecca Stevens and Charlotte Hardway were outstanding in the defence whilst Aimee Edel had a brilliant game in goal especially in the second half. This was a wonderful result for a team that as never played together before, till today.

Away to Hemel Aces saw the Under 11's North go 1-0 up after twenty minutes with a well struck shot from Toby IRISH and then ten minutes into the second half Harry FOUNTAIN made it 2-0 with an unstoppable effort from the edge of the box. Luke CAMPION made it 3-0 with a left foot shot and then Elliot GOWARD following up a shot by James Coombs made it 4-0. Two late goals from Luke THATCHER saw the Saints finally win 6-0.

Playing at home against a well organised Harvesters South side saw the Under 11's West lose 7-3 with Sam GRANT, Adam BELLAROUSSI and Louis GRAY scoring the Saints goals.


The Under 10's East continued their good start to the season with a commanding 5-1 win over Gadeside Rangers who had won their previous match 5-0. James LOWTHIAN opened the scoring with a powerful free kick in the first minute after Jacob Wroe was hauled down on the edge of the box and then Aidan BRENNAN made it 2-0 after only three minutes following excellent team work by Louis McNamara and Ryan Maher. Gadeside managed to pull a goal back in a rare attack midway through the first half with the spinning ball evading the outstretched arms of Harry Gray. In the second period Gadeside continued to give needless free kicks away as they tried to stem the relentless yellow and blue tide and Aidan BRENNAN struck another three goals to seal the match and take his tally to 4 for the match which included a mazy run past three defenders and then his final goal was a near post header from a George Figg corner kick. In this 5-1 victory saw Eddie Gray have a great game in the defence whilst George Figg who was making his debut had a very impressive match.

Encouraging performances from goalkeeper Jack Macleod who made a string of fine saves throughout the match whilst defender Charlie Rainsford for 10's West made some strong challenges but it was not to be as the Saints eventually lost 9-0 after being three nil down at the break. In the second half Carl Biggs and Elliott Jay had numerous shots on goal but they found the Enfield keeper in top form and so it was another tough game for the Saints and the man of the match went to the very hard working Charlie Rainsford.

Under 9's.

A entertaining 0-0 draw against Comet Sports A were the Saints Under 9's A team having a powerful second half with Connor Emerton being influential throughout whilst Hayley Ladd was excellent in goal for the young Saints.

Although losing 3-1 this was a very creditable first appearance for the Under 9's B team against Comet Sports B with David TOWNDROW hitting a thunderbolt equaliser and Adam Luck made an impressive debut in midfield.

UNDER 8's.

The Under 8's were away to Everett Rovers with the young Saints winning the match 3-0 with two fine goals from Oliver MARJORAM whilst Daniel ROSEN adding the third goal.